This year, we're planning early. Get in touch if you're interested or have any ideas!
Mardi Gras 2015: check the next tab for photos!
Take a look at this video to familiarise yourself with what we'll be doing. As you can see, we have only four moves:
- wave the sign right-left-right-left
- turn so the crowds can see your sign - right then left
- sign up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down
- turn in a circle.;
We need to keep moving forward while we do this, so we don't hold up the whole parade! We will have a drummer to keep us on track, and there will be plenty of other people to follow if you feel unsure.
>>The idea as it stands:
- dress the ute up as parliament house, with boards along the side in the image of the building and the pyramid-shaped flagpole structure on top made of plywood. The flag will probably say "no exemption". The house will probably be overlaid with the slogan and the website. noone will be dressed as priests etc, so we will be relying on words to convey that it's exemptions for religions that we're particularly concerned about.
- people standing on the ute (in parliament house) will be handing out big placards to others on the ground - free passes do discriminate, styled like monopoly 'get out of jail free' cards. these can be shown to the crowd, then slid onto the back of the ute to be given again.
- the rest of us will be protesters, with placards to wave in a very simple routine. We will demonstrate the routine and put it on youtube so people can see and learn it.
- we may make small leaflets to give out, so we can engage the crowd and explain ourselves more clearly.
- we will print tshirts so everyone can wear them. the people on the ute can put a suit jacket over the top.
- behind the protesters, we will end the float with another big banner.
- we may have LED light strips outlining the house, and/or spotlights up to the flag
- we won't have music unless someone thinks of something relevant, very soon. we may have someone with a drum or something beating time for the choreography.
We are going to need:
- helpers at working bees
- a driver